Tuesday 23 January 2007

On Cohabitation

Francesca asks me what colour throw to get for the sofa. My sister is coming tomorrow and we want it to look nice. I say pink. It is a joke.

Now we have a sofa that matches the colour of my hair when we first met. When I look at it my eyes hurt but at least it gives theroom some life.

I am not very good at not being serious. This is what people who know me think. In fact I am very good at not being serious. But I am also very good at being subtle so my humour almost always goes undetected.

To the outside world I am a tall half-German who doesn´t know vot funny is. In reality I am like Grenouille, the character in Patrick Süskind´s "Perfume", lying in caves in Southern France building imaginary worlds filled with witty one-liners, puns and ironic understatements, quietly biding my time concocting the worlds biggest joke that will have thousands laugh till their clothes fall off and they want to fornicate on the streets.

No comments: